There are more than 90 state-of-the-art labs to work in and over 200 researchers working in all areas of photonics.
The Optoelectronics Research Centre at the University of Southampton has an excellent track record of publishing in high profile research journals and in leading international conferences. Former PhD and postdoctoral researchers have made successful careers in Universities worldwide or as scientists and business leaders in industry. The quality of our research outputs, the cluster of spin-off companies and the worldwide network of successful alumni place the ORC amongst the top institutes worldwide for doctoral research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Session 1: General Photonics Principles
- Gaussian Beam Optics
- Pulse Propagation in Dispersive Media
- Optical Fibres and Fibre Telecommunications
- Nonlinear Optics
- Nonlinearities in Optical Fibres
Lasers and Waveguides
- Laser Physics
- Solid State Lasers
- Planar Waveguides
Session 2: Selected Topics
- Fibre Gratings
- Numeral Techniques in Optics
- Optical Pulse Characterization
- Microstructured Fibres
- Glass Poling, Fentomsecond Laser Writing
- Optical Fiber Sensors, High Power Fibre Lasers
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPhysics View 63 other Masters in Physics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students are required to have either a first or upper second class degree or equivalent in a relevant subject area from a recognised University - and a basic background in Mathematics.
- Our work is multidisciplinary, so we are keen to get a diverse spread of students with science and engineering backgrounds. This includes the obvious subjects like Physics, Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Chemistry, with the less obvious such as Biology. The requirements may vary depending on your background and the projects that you may be working on.
- Students whose first language is not English will need to complete an IELTS test. We require a minimum IELTS score of 6.0, with 5.5 in each component.
International21360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21360 GBP per year during 24 months.
National18000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18000 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.