The selected cohorts of students that enroll the Programme each year receive training within a stimulating research environment.
The Economics programme offered by University of Porto is hosted by the Center for Economics and Finance at the U. Porto (cef.up), the leading research unit of the Faculty of Economics of University of Porto (FEP-UP), which sponsors several courses and seminars over the academic year.
Research papers are presented by visiting scholars, by Department faculty and by graduate students. Seminar attendance is an integral part of the PhD programme, as it provides students with knowledge about current research in their areas of interest, as well as acquaintance with researchers in such areas.
Presentation of their research results allows students to acquire key academic abilities and to obtain timely feedback from scholars and colleagues on their theses.
The programme aims at providing students with advanced capabilities in Economic Theory and Quantitative Methods, allowing for a deeper understanding of various specialized areas of Economics and the development of skills for economic analysis and scientific research. Its structure is designed to ensure that the approved theses contribute to the advance of scientific knowledge in the student’s specialization area.
The programme encourages the submission of research results to publication in accredited scientific journals.
FEP received the AACSB international accreditation, one of the most important international certifications in the area of business education.
- Mathematical Economics
- Computational Economics
- History of Economic Thought
- Advanced Economic Analysis
- Advanced Topics in Economics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at School of Economics and Management - University of Porto and/or in Portugal, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
International6000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6000 EUR per year during 48 months.
National2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 48 months.
Tuition fees for academic year 2022/23
This information does not exempt you from reading the information available on the official website: https://s.up.pt/p9is
Living costs for Porto
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- The Scientific Board encourages and supports students who wish to apply for scholarships or other financial support. The main institution responsible for awarding scholarships in Portugal is the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT).
- Under the students’ international mobility protocols established between the University of Porto and several European universities, our doctorate students may apply for scholarship support in order to attend one semester abroad. Students applying for scholarships should seek advice from the Scientific Board on how to fill in the application form.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.