This program has a multidisciplinary approach based on the convergence of Engineering Sciences with Biological and Biomedical Sciences, which consists in an Advanced Course (60 ECTS) in the first year, followed by a PhD thesis (180 ECTS), which can be performed in collaboration with international universities, hospitals and companies. This PhD program aims to prepare the new generation of bioengineering researchers able to translate the biological and biomedical sciences discoveries in technological innovations in the fields of Industrial and Health Bioengineering.
The PhD Program in Bioengineering from Instituto Superior Técnico is organized in two specialites: Systems Bioengineering and Bioengineering-Cell Therapies and Regenerative Medicine.
The speciality in Bioengineering Systems aims at the development of more eficiente and sustainable processes and products based on Biomolecular and Bioprocess Engineering, Biocatalysis, Separation of Biological Products, Nanobiotechnology, Systems Bioengineering, Innovationd and Entrepeneurship.
The speciality in Bioengineering – Cell Therapies and Regenerative Medicine is offered in collaboration with Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), US. This program aims at the development of new Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMP), based on Stem Cell Biology and Engineering, Tissue Engineering, Biomaterials and Gene and Cellular Therapies.
- Promoting new inter-institutional post-graduation training and opportunities, aimed at educating a new generation of leaders in bioengineering and technical innovation in Portugal
- Promote industrial and health-care biotechnology education and research that makes it possible for new start-ups, which implement new models of interaction between universities, hospitals and enterprises, government, and society.
EmploymentThe PhD holders in Bioengineering are expected have their professional activities in Research, Development and Leadership in the emergent areas of the program, namely in R&D institutions, universities, biotechnology and phamaceutical industries, hospitals and creation of star-ups.
- Inovation in Bioengineering
- Laboratory Rotation
- Outreach and Teaching Skills - Department of Bioengineering
- Materials for Regenerative Medicine
- Drug Delivery and Cell Mimics
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 5 other PhDs in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in Portugal
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Holders of an Undergraduate Degree and Master’s Degree may apply for this training doctoral programme by obtaining a pass in an advanced study course, that grants a total of credits between 30 and 60 ECTS, followed by advanced research, development and innovation work, leading to a dissertation (PhD thesis). In all it has a 3 year duration.
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7000 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA1063 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1063 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.