One of the strengths of the program results from the unique teaching/research platform offered at IST/iBB, which exposes students to a high quality interdisciplinary training. The BIOTECnico PhD program is rooted in the Instituto Superior Técnico PhD Program in Biotechnology that produced the first doctors in the area in Portugal in the 90s. The BIOTECnico PhD program is designed to prepare a new breed of creative researchers to translate basic bioscience discoveries into technological innovations in the fields of Industrial, Agro-Food, Health and Environmental Biotechnology.
The field of Biotechnology and Biosciences has witnessed extraordinary developments in areas like Molecular and Cellular Biology, Functional and Comparative Genomics, Computational and Systems Biology and Synthetic Biology, Upstream and Downstream Processing, Molecular Bioengineering, Biosystems Engineering and Nanobiotechnology. The Integrative Biology approach is addressing biological question(s) by integrating holistic (genome wide; omics-) approaches with in depth functional analyses and computational biology (modeling). Bioprocess engineers are engaged in solving industrial bottlenecks and developing methods to support biologically-based manufacturing. All these developments are continuously challenging scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs to come up with innovative products, processes and services to improve quality of life, advance health and promote sustainability. The training of human resources specialized in modern Biotechnology and Biosciences is an imperative if society is to benefit from discoveries taking place in academia and research centres and to foster a sustainable growth of the biotechnology market.
The BIOTECnico PhD program is designed to prepare a new breed of creative researchers to translate basic bioscience discoveries into technological innovations in the fields of Industrial, Agro-Food, Health and Environmental Biotechnology. The program is aligned with the research developed by faculty and researchers of the Department of Bioengineering at IST, with the Biological Sciences and Bioengineering Research Groups of IST/iBB, and with other IST-associated centers in the Biotechnology field.
Programme StructureCourses include
- Advanced Experimental Techniques and Methodologies in Biotechnology
- Advanced Biomaterials
- Molecular Biotechnology
- Chemical and Biological Engineering Reaction
- Bioprocess Engineering
- Outreach and Teaching Skills - Department of Bioengineering
- Functional and Comparative Genomics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The BIOTECnico PhD program is open to individuals (Portuguese or foreign citizens who have permanent residence in Portugal) holding, at the time of application, an MSc diploma (or equivalent, accepted by IST-ULisboa) in Life Sciences, Bio/Engineering or related areas (upon decision of the Scientific Committee of the program).
- A strong academic background in biosciences or engineering and technology will be required. The selection of PhD candidates has to comply with the IST-ULisboa doctorate regulations, in particular concerning pre-required skills and competences.
International2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.