The PhD Program in Climate Change and Sustainable Development Policies from Instituto Superior Técnico has a duration of 4 years and includes a 1-year advanced interdisciplinary training course in the first and second semesters, combining the physical, natural, social and human sciences. It draws on the expertise of teachers and scientists’ researchers from the two-state universities in Lisbon, all of whom have acknowledged records of academic publication in the areas of climate change and sustainable development. Following the advanced training course offered in the first year, students enroll in one of the schools of the two Portuguese universities to carry out the necessary research to obtain a doctoral degree. Instituto Superior Técnico has welcomed students who intend to continue their studies in the areas of engineering.
Program alumni can proceed their careers in national, regional and local public administration, in institutions of higher education and in research laboratories and in private or public companies, working in the fields of environment, water management, water services, energy and food production.
- Optional course on the following areas: social sciences, environmental sciences or environmental technologies ;
- Seminar on the science of sustainability and climate change
- History, environment and development;
- Earth systems;
- Theory and praxis of sustainable development
- Science of climate change
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Holders of an Undergraduate Degree and Master’s Degree may apply for this training doctoral programme by obtaining a pass in an advanced study course, that grants a total of credits between 30 and 60 ECTS, followed by advanced research, development and innovation work, leading to a dissertation (PhD thesis). In all it has a 3 year duration.
International2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.