The Doctoral Degree on River Restoration and Management from Instituto Superior Técnico aims to develop scientific knowledge in the fields of restoration and management of fluvial processes and river quality, thus contributing to improve the sustainable development of human societies and the conservation of natural resources.
Concerning the students, the program intends to:
- i) acquainted them with the problems of different types of rivers, presenting environmentally challenging case-studies;
- ii) stimulate their innovative aptitudes, while training them into hypotheses testing, scientific reasoning and rigor;
- iii) train their skills to communicate and to write to wider science audiences;
- iv) design versatile and useful career profiles for highly trained and skilled researchers, promoting the application of results by the private sector and by regional and governmental agencies.
However, individual training will be complemented by stimulus to work in group and by personal and scientific enrichment based on mobility between the countries involved in the FLUVIO Consortium.
Examples of themes available for thesis development:
- Integrated flow management
- Ecological flows: requirements and design
- Water and ecosystem management under scarcity
- Ecohydraulics of fish passes
- Fluvial restoration planning
- Dam operation for downstream habitat management
- Historical ecology of river landscapes and channels
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Holders of an Undergraduate Degree and Master’s Degree may apply for this training doctoral programme by obtaining a pass in an advanced study course, that grants a total of credits between 30 and 60 ECTS, followed by advanced research, development and innovation work, leading to a dissertation (PhD thesis). In all it has a 3 year duration.
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7000 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA1063 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1063 EUR per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.