This Clinical Psychology Doctorate programme from University of Birmingham comprises a combination of academic teaching, research and research training, and professional training during clinical placements.
You complete five placements in a range of health settings in the West Midlands. The programme will enable you to deliver psychology-based treatments by drawing upon a range of models, tailoring interventions to client needs within a range of service contexts.
Our staff have expertise across a range of specialisms, skills and models. Like all similar courses, we give special consideration to cognitive-behavioural approaches but we also equip trainees with knowledge and skills in systemic practice and in psychodynamic and behavioural approaches. In year two, you will be able to choose which of these approaches you wish to specialise in. We will also prepare you for the wider organisational demands of the NHS by providing opportunities for you to understand, appraise and develop your own leadership behaviours.
Birmingham is one of the major centres for clinical psychology training in the UK and most graduates take up posts in NHS departments.
- Research in Clincal Psychology
- Reflection Practice in Clinical Psychology
- You will continue to attend workshops relating to the academic underpinnings of clinical practice, work under supervision on a clinical psychology placement(s) in the NHS and undertake self-directed learning.
- You are required to complete one clinical practice report which in due course is bound into the thesis. You also pursue your research project.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPsychology Clinical Psychology View 84 other PhDs in Psychology in United Kingdom
- You must have at least a 2:1 degree or recognised equivalent at undergraduate level and you will need to provide a certificate or transcript showing your degree level at the time of applying. We welcome applicants with higher degrees which should ideally be in a clinically relevant area. Unfortunately, we do not accept applicants with a 2:2 at undergraduate level, even if they have a Master's or PhD.
- We also require evidence of competence in research methods as evidenced by a score/rating of at least 60% on the undergraduate research dissertation – noted on the undergraduate transcript. Applicants who do not yet have an undergraduate transcript, or who have completed a conversion course without a detailed transcript, would need to provide formal evidence of research competence from the awarding University.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
At present UK trainees are hosted by a local NHS Trust and paid a salary.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.