The multidisciplinary research in the Modern Languages programme of the University of Strathclyde investigates questions of representations, interpretations and transmissions in film, fiction, journalism, opera, print media, theatre, philosophy and translation.
Our main areas of research include:
- literature and intellectual history
- exile, trauma and wellbeing
- women writers, performers and audiences
- translating people, cultures and heritages
You can carry out your degree in any of our research areas:
- Culture in France (including Francophone West African Culture), Italy, Latin America and Spain (19th and 20th century)
- Women’s Writers and Readers
- 19th and 20th-century History (particularly the Second World War)
- Intellectual History
- Translation Studies
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- You can apply for a postgraduate research degree at any point in the year.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Translation & Interpreting Linguistics View 88 other PhDs in Linguistics in United Kingdom
- You normally require to have a first-class or upper second-class UK Honours degree, or overseas equivalent, in Spanish, French or Italian.
During the application you'll be asked for the following:
- your full contact details
- transcripts and certificates of all degrees
- proof of English language proficiency if English isn't your first language
- two references, one of which must be academic
- funding or scholarship information
- research proposal of 250 to 1,000 words in length, detailing the subject area and topic to be investigated
International14800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14800 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 36 months.
- Rest of UK: £4,500
Living costs for Glasgow
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.