Karstology from University of Nova Gorica offers a broad-based basic introduction to karst from various aspects (e.g., geologic structure, surface, underground landscape, water), and enables a highly-focused in-depth orientation in line with the interests of each student (e.g. the use and protection of karst waters). The curriculum is designed accordingly and offers a handful of required courses and a wide array of elective courses with emphasis on independent research work.
Students at Karstology from University of Nova Gorica will:
- acquire knowledge related to karst and deepen it correspondingly by means of Slovene and foreign experts, relevant literature and field work carried out on the Slovene Karst and the karst abroad especially by employing an interdisciplinary approach in order to upgrade the knowledge of conventional disciplines,
- become acquainted with historical cognitions and leading theories, notions and concepts of karst.
- recognize the interrelated processes and karst features and phenomena as well as human impact on karst in the broadest sense,
- be capable of making a quick and reliable analysis and synthesis of their acquired knowledge and to present it adequately, both orally and in writing, in an articulated, well-supported, analytical and synthetic manner in scientific, technical and popular publications,
- have the capacity to constructively use the acquired interdisciplinary knowledge related to karstology in their future line of work within or outside the research institutions and university centres in Slovenia and abroad.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Active tectonics and karst
- Age of karst processes
- Basic speleology
- Cave tourism
- Development challenges on karst
- Dinaric karst
- Geodiversity of karst areas
- History of karstology and speleology
- Karst ecology
- Karst geology
- Karst geomorphology
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- 1st is from Febr 16 – Mar 30
- 2nd is from Apr 1 – Jul 1
- 3rd is from Aug 1 – Sept 1
- 4th is presented above
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Geology Ecology
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Have completed a 2nd cycle master’s study preogramme;
- Have completed at least a four-year academic undergraduate programme accredited with 240 ECTS credit points, or
- Have completed a uniform five year master’s study programme accredited with 300 ECTS credit points, or
- Have completed a specialization after previously finished a professional study programme, and had passed additional study obligations with 30 to 60 ECTS credit points, or
- Have completed an equivalent programme abroad.
- The certificate of education
- A court-certified translation of the education certificate from the previous indent into the Slovenian or English language.
- Annual report cards, transcripts, a diploma supplement or some other evidence on the contents and duration of education;
- A short chronological description of the entire education, prepared and signed by the holder of the education certificate or his / her legal representative;
- Motivattion letter and CV.
International4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4000 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4000 EUR per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Nova Gorica
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.