Metabolism and surgical facilities in the Animal Science Complex, and specialized laboratory equipment the Genomics Lab and other departments on campus, including, Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, and Health and Nutritional Sciences Programs are also available.
Graduate students accepted in the Biological Sciences - Dairy Science Specialization course offered at South Dakota State University will have opportunities to utilize these facilities to develop basic and/or applied research programs in dairy product processing, microbiology, chemistry, food safety, dairy cattle nutrition, metabolism, genomics, breeding, microbiology of the rumen, immunology, and management, while interacting with well qualified faculty.
The Biological Sciences - Dairy Science Specialization course offered at South Dakota State University, in collaboration with the Food Science and Nutrition program at the University of Minnesota and the Food Science and Human Nutrition program at Iowa State University, constitute the Midwest Dairy Foods Research Center. This collaborative center provides graduate students in the manufacturing area a unique opportunity to be involved with current issues and research needs.
- Consultant/Specialist in Dairy Nutrition, Food Safety, Microbiology, etc.
- Industry-Based Researcher
- Laboratory/Research Group Manager
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Student Learning Outcomes
- Exhibit knowledge concerning dairy science, either manufacturing or production, at a level appropriate to a Ph.D. holder.
- Demonstrate adequate presentation and communication skills, including dissertation and journal article writing, poster and oral presentation skills, and grant/proposal writing skills.
- Demonstrate information literacy for science-based inquiry and critical review of existing knowledge sources.
- Demonstrate an understanding of scientific methods and application of analytical techniques for solving research problems.
- Develop a deep understanding of experimental design, statistical analysis and use of inferential statistics to make valid judgements based on scientific data.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
* you can also choose a 90 credit plan
DisciplinesBiology Natural Sciences Food Sciences View 191 other PhDs in Biology in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The application must include the application fee, all post-secondary transcripts, degree certificates, and other materials as required by specific programs before processing of the application will begin. The Graduate School employs a rolling deadline, however, students should check with their program of interest for specific admission deadlines.
- Applicants for the Doctor of Philosophy degree, 60-credit plan, must have a Master’s degree. This degree must be awarded from an approved, accredited institution. In those cases where applicants do not have a Master’s degree, departmental requirements will apply, either requiring completion of a Master’s degree or permitting an individual to move directly into a doctoral program, 90-credit plan. Domestic, international or non-degree seeking students may submit an application online.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International39240 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 654 USD per credit
National39240 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 654 USD per credit
In-State20400 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 340 USD per credit
Living costs for Brookings
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.