The Agronomy, Horticulture and Plant Science Department is an integrated department that includes programs in crop production, entomology, horticulture, plant biotechnology, plant breeding, plant pathology, precision farming, soils, water management, and weed science.
The primary goals of the department are to conduct research in these areas, to transmit the results to the public, and to help prepare students for an occupation in these disciplines and to become productive members of a community.
Graduate training of the Biological Sciences - Plant Science Specialization at South Dakota State University includes classroom instruction, teaching experience, seminars designed to refine oral and written skills, and meaningful experience in laboratory and field research techniques. Departmental diversity encourages collaborations among disciplines and research programs that support this graduate training.
- Agricultural consultant (domestic or international)
- Agricultural chemical researcher or sales manager
- Commercial crop or greenhouse manager
- Food processing scientist
- Plant biotechnologist
- Plant breeder
- Plant industry or biofuels researcher
- Plant-pest protection specialist
- Senior scientist or program leader for a federal or state agriculture, environmental quality, or land management agency
- University professor, research support scientist, or extension educator
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Student Learning Outcomes
- Knowledge of program: Exhibit knowledge concerning biological and/or microbiological systems/sciences at a level appropriate to a Ph.D. holder.
- Communication skills: Express their scientific views effectively in both oral and written form.
- Understand scientific method: Understand the scientific methods and techniques for solving research problems and analyze scientific data using the appropriate statistics.
- Use statistics to analyze data: Be able to use statistics to analyze scientific data.
- Publish research: Be able to conduct and publish scholarly research.
- Professional development: Demonstrate professional development and competence so that they may enter the work force in academia or industry.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
you can also choose 90 credits plan
DisciplinesBiology Natural Sciences Plant & Crop Sciences View 42 other PhDs in Natural Sciences in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- The application must include the application fee, all post-secondary transcripts, degree certificates, and other materials as required by specific programs before processing of the application will begin. The Graduate School employs a rolling deadline, however, students should check with their program of interest for specific admission deadlines.
- Applicants for the Doctor of Philosophy degree, 60-credit plan, must have a Master’s degree. This degree must be awarded from an approved, accredited institution. In those cases where applicants do not have a Master’s degree, departmental requirements will apply, either requiring completion of a Master’s degree or permitting an individual to move directly into a doctoral program, 90-credit plan. Domestic, international or non-degree seeking students may submit an application online.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International39240 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 654 USD per credit
National39240 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 654 USD per credit
In-State20400 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 340 USD per credit
Living costs for Brookings
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.