The Hector Fellow Academy strengthens research in Germany and contributes to solving global challenges by raising awareness of socio-political issues, regularly hosting events like symposia, workshops, and conferences. The Carry Out Your Own PhD Project! programme is offered by Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) .
.Furthermore, the Hector Fellow Academy creates synergies to promote cutting-edge research, innovative projects, and supporting young researchers.
The central concern of the Academy of Sciences is the promotion of interdisciplinary exchange between its members, who work together across the boundaries of individual research institutions and across different disciplines.
For this reason, personnel and research funds are made available for innovative scientific projects carried out jointly by several Hector Fellows.
Each Hector Fellow can apply with at least one additional Hector Fellow for an interdisciplinary project. If approved, postdocs and/or doctoral positions will be advertised at the respective institutes or filled with scientists from their network.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureThe following projects are currently supported:
- Towards Understanding the Genetic Basis of Appetitive Aggressive Behavior
- High-resolution optogenetics with organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs)
- RetinaSensor: Enhanced Vision Restoration in Blind People
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
The upcoming application period runs from September 1st to October 30th
DisciplinesPsychology Human Medicine Natural Sciences View 13 other PhDs in Natural Sciences in Germany
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Scientists with the following requirements can apply:
- W1 assistant professors (with or without Tenure Track) or own junior research group leaders in natural or engineering sciences, medicine or psychology (e.g. Emmy-Noether Programme (DFG), Sofja Kovalevskaja Award (AvH), or similar)
- Doctorate or PhD-equivalent less than seven years prior the application with exceptional results
- Employment at a German university, Fraunhofer-Institute, Helmholtz-Center, Leibniz-Institute or Max Planck Institute
- Formal or content-related right to supervise a doctorate
- Support by the head of institute for the project
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
The Hector Fellow Academy does not charge any application fees.
Living costs for Karlsruhe
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.