Under the supervision of a Hector Fellow, you will work on your innovative PhD projects over a period of three years. In addition to financing your position, you receive additional research funding from the Academy and take part in further training events.
Benefits of Carry Out Your Own PhD Project! is offered at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- On training days and networking events, the focus is not only on the acquisition of specialist skills and cooperation with top researchers, but also on further training in management topics, interdisciplinary skills and soft skills. You will be given the unique opportunity to become part of an interdisciplinary research network!
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Current PhD projects:
- Mechanical manipulation of molecular spins in CNT resonators
- Temporal and spatial microbial dynamics in the Arctic Ocean
- Machine learning methods for gravitational-wave data analysis
- High-throughput Virus Discovery in Next Generation Sequencing Data
- Quantum simulation of strong interactions of light and matter
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
Application deadline March 31 anually.
DisciplinesNatural Sciences Liberal Arts
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Project outline of the doctoral project (object of investigation, relation to the field of research of the Hector Fellow, added value of supervision by Hector Fellow)
- Abstract of the doctoral project
- Schedule for the doctoral project
- Names and contact information of two referees
- Curriculum vitae
- Summary of the master thesis
- Copy of diplomas and grades
- Application photo
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year
Living costs for Karlsruhe
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
PhD students of the Hector Fellow Academy are employed as research assistants for a period of three years. The salary corresponds to the internal regulations at the university of the respective Hector Fellow (according to TV-L 13, up to 100%, based on the funding rates of the DFG for PhD students).
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.