The Geography Ph.D. at Kansas State University fosters:
- an understanding of scientific inquiry
- knowledge of the structure of the geographic discipline, its history, issues, methods, and trends;
- proficiency in appropriate analytical and technical skills; and
- competency in communicating the results of research
800-level course requirement
No more than 6 credit hours of 500-level courses are permitted in a Ph.D. program, but no 500-level geography course may appear in the program of study.
Not more than 6 hours of independent study or other individualized courses should ordinarily appear on the program of study for the doctoral program. For exceptions to this, the chair of a student’s supervisory committee should write a memo to the Graduate School that accompanies the program of study and explains the reasoning for the exception request.
Non-Geography course requirement
At least three hours must be taken in a department other than geography. Preferably, a course will be taken from a faculty member who will serve as the outside member of the supervisory committee.
- Graduate Seminar in Geography
- Geographic Thought
- Seminar in Rural Geography
- Methods, Theory, and Models in Geography
- Preliminary Exam
- Defend Dissertation
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geography View 21 other PhDs in Geography in United States
- All international students admitted to the Graduate School must demonstrate the same level of achievement as U.S. students. That is, they must hold a degree from an established institution comparable to a college or university in the United States, have an outstanding undergraduate record, have the demonstrated ability to do graduate work, and provide evidence of language proficiency sufficient for the pursuit of a graduate degree. Admission may be denied to students from technical schools, which may provide excellent training in special areas, but do not offer degrees equivalent to those of colleges and universities. As a rule, students from abroad are not admitted to nondegree status (that is, as special students). Questions about the qualifications of international students should be directed to the Graduate School.
International21524 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21524 USD per year during 36 months.
National21524 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21524 USD per year during 36 months.
In-State11856 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11856 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.