QUT adopts a project management approach. PhD candidates work closely with their supervisory team to meet collegially reviewed milestones leading to timely submission of a thesis for examination.
QUT is proud of its record of timely completions and low attrition rates realised by this approach.
During candidature the supervisor and other key stakeholders will provide advice and direction to the candidate to encourage their participation in university scholarly activities such as research seminars, teaching and publication.
The length of the thesis varies according to the topic, but should normally be no longer than 100,000 words, excluding bibliography.
Highlights of the Doctor of Philosophy (Hosted by Science and Engineering Faculty) at Queensland University of Technology
- Maintain regular contact with supervisors and participate in University scholarly activities such as seminars, teaching and publication; a program of supervised research and investigation; and preparation of a thesis.
- External program candidates may research in a workplace away from QUT, either domestically or overseas.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourse design
- Advanced Information Retrieval Skills
- Time based Thesis
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 36 other PhDs in Philosophy & Ethics in Australia
You must have either:
- a completed recognised relevant honours degree or equivalent
- a completed recognised masters degree or professional doctorate (by research or coursework)
Masters and professional doctorate degrees by coursework must have a significant research component, normally not less than 25%. Holders of masters and professional doctorate by coursework must:
- have a minimum grade point average (GPA) score of 5.0 on QUT's 7 point scale; and
- present evidence of research experience and potential for approval
International30300 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30300 AUD per year during 48 months.
National26800 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26800 AUD per year during 48 months.
- Internationals: $30,300 - $36,800
- Nationals: $26,800 - $33,300 per year full-time if you exceed the maximum time under RTP
Living costs for Brisbane
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.