Because of the interdisciplinary nature of Applied Physics, the Department at Stanford University welcomes applications both from individuals who majored in physics and from those who have a strong interest in physics but may have majored in related disciplines, e.g., electrical, mechanical or chemical engineering, materials science, biophysics, chemistry, or mathematics.
- However, in some cases, these students may find it necessary to spend additional time taking courses at Stanford to acquire the background to meet the requirements for advanced degrees in Applied Physics.
- A similar situation pertains to physics undergraduates who have been out of school for a substantial period of time.
- The degrees we offer are M.S., Ph.D., and a Coterminal M.S. degree in Applied and Engineering Physics. Please see Coterminal application page for more information about this program.
- Stanford University operates on an academic year that consists of autumn, winter, spring, and summer quarters.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form
- Application fee. Payment by credit card (Visa or MasterCard only). See here for more info.
- Two original transcripts from each of the previous institutions of higher learning attended.
- Three letters of recommendation must be submitted using the online service. Letters cannot be emailed or faxed per University policy.
- Statement of purpose
- The GRE is optional (verbal, quantitative, analytical, and Physics subject). If one chooses to take exams, use Code 4704 for the Institutional Code. A Department Code is not needed.
Living costs for Stanford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.