- The field's members are drawn from fourteen departments in seven campus units, and include three members of the National Academy of Sciences. International and national honors won by members of the Cornell biophysics faculty include the Biological Physics prize of the American Physical Society, the American Chemical Eli Lilly Award in Biochemistry, the Pfizer Award, and Guggenheim and Fogarty Foundation fellowships.
- Research facilities for X-ray crystallography, optical, laser, and magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and computation include the Cornell Theory Center (supercomputing); the Center for High Energy Synchrotron Studies; MacCHESS (Macromolecular Crystallography at the Center for High Energy Synchrotron Studies), the Developmental Resource for Biophysical Imaging Optoelectronics, the Center for Advanced Technology in Biotechnology; the Cornell Nanofabrication Facility; the Keck 3D Stereo Viewing Theater; the Biomolecular NMR Center; and the Chemistry NMR Facility.
- A student working in computational modeling of protein motions will develop a strong background in statistical physics, computational science and chemistry, while a student involved in laser studies of proteins in biological membranes will develop a strong background in quantum physics, instrumentation, chemistry and biomembranes.
- At the point of passing the "A" exam -- usually after two years of study -- each student is expected to demonstrate competence in specific subject areas that serve as a foundation for further work. Areas of required competence are: advanced mathematics, physical chemistry (i.e., statistical mechanics and/or quantum mechanics), biochemistry and molecular cell biology, computer literacy and/or laboratory electronics and instrumentation, and advanced studies in molecular biophysics and associated areas of biological and physical sciences.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A statement of purpose
- English language proficiency
International20800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20800 USD per year during 36 months.
National20800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20800 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.