The MRes year of the Nanoscience and Nanotechnology-EPSRC CDT programme from University of Cambridge provides high-quality advanced-level training through lecture courses, hands-on practicals and two experimental projects, prior to final selection of interdisciplinary PhD research projects between two research groups in the Departments of Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, Materials Science or another relevant department across the University.
The programme is suited to students who are keen to move beyond the silo of a single scientific discipline, to develop a holistic research approach that is problem focussed, and to be part of a vibrant research community.
- Gain scientific depth and application breadth of nanoscience/-technology topics beyond their first-degree subject
- Develop skills in a diverse range of practical techniques in nanoscience research, appreciating the advantages and shortcomings of each method
- Learn to recognise the challenges of nanomanufacturing and system design
- Gain an understanding of the enterprise landscape relating to nano-innovation and learn to identify and develop innovation opportunities that may be suitable for commercialisation
- Learn to present their work through different media and to varied audiences ranging from members of the public to expert researchers in their specific area
- Learn to consider the wider impact of their research in society
- Develop effective team-working skills and learn to manage their own work effectively
- One to one supervision
- Seminars & classes
- Small group teaching
- Journal clubs
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInformatics & Information Sciences Computer Sciences Software Engineering View 58 other PhDs in Computer Sciences in United Kingdom
- Two academic references
- Evidence of competence in English
- Although the minimum requirement for entry is a high II.i, most students who are shortlisted for interview and are offered admission on the NanoDTC have a (predicted) first class degree.
International32352 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32352 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8844 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8844 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Cambridge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.