- Students are expected to develop strength in their base discipline as well as gain appropriate breadth to support the area of specialization. Active research programs exist in high-performance fibers and fiber-reinforced composites; Green composites; detergency and surface chemistry; perfume treated fabrics; textile materials in biomedical and geotechnical applications; polymers for electronics; liquid-crystal polymers; textile-dye chemistry; crystal morphology of fibers; electrospin of fibers; cellulose; apparel and fashion design, design ethnography; sizing and fit of apparel; functional apparel; cultural and historic studies of clothing and textiles; mass customization and technology; and technology management in the apparel industry.
- For Ph.D. students, a minimum of four committee members are required: one faculty member representing the major, one for each of the two minor areas, and a fourth member appointed by the Director of Graduate Studies to act for the field. The oral and written Admission to Candidacy examination and the final oral examination are required for the Ph.D. degree. The field does not require a foreign language.
- Outstanding facilities for research and study are available in the College of Human Ecology and the College of Engineering.Textile and polymer science laboratories are equipped with modern instrumentation for chemical, physical, and mechanical analysis and with a controlled temperature and humidity room. Apparel design studios are equipped with industrial sewing equipment. Video image-capture and photography equipment is available in a visual analysis lab. The functional apparel lab houses a variety of human-factors testing equipment, including a full-body scanner.
Understand concepts and establish expertise in Fiber Science including:
- Theory and practice of fiber formation
- Rheology of solids: dynamic mechanical analysis of fibers and polymers
- Physical properties of fiber- forming polymers and fibers
- Chemistry of textile finishes and dyeing
- Properties of fibrous systems
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Fashion, Textiles and Luxury Goods View 29 other PhDs in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A statement of purpose
- English language proficiency
International20800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20800 USD per year during 36 months.
National20800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20800 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.