- Students develop an individual program of study and research in consultation with their Special Committee, which is chaired by a member of the members Field of Human Development but may include faculty members from other fields. All students are required to complete at least two semesters of graduate-level training in statistics and one semester of teaching. The field also requires that students complete a predoctoral research project or master's degree before taking the Admission to Candidacy examination.
- All students are expected to acquire a basic background in the behavioral sciences and to master a broad base of knowledge of human development in the context of family and society. Both the M.A. and the Ph.D. degree programs require a research thesis or dissertation.
- For the Ph.D. degree, two semesters of graduate-level training in statistics and some teaching experience are required. The field also requires that candidates complete a predoctoral research project before taking the Admission to Candidacy examination. The Ph.D. program ordinarily takes four years to complete.
There are a number of fully equipped laboratories directed by individual faculty members who are conducting observational and experimental studies of basic processes in development. Students may also become involved in research or demonstration projects in the Family Life Development Center (child maltreatment and families under stress) and the Bronfenbrenner Life Course Center (adulthood and aging).
Concentrations by Subject:
- Aging And Health
- Ecology Of Human Development
- Family Studies And The Life Course
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFamily & Consumer Science Psychology View 12 other PhDs in Family & Consumer Science in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A statement of purpose
- English language proficiency
International20800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20800 USD per year during 48 months.
National20800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20800 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.