- Some special topics of interest are composites, inorganic-organic hybrids, nanocomposites, organic optoelectronics, and, in relation to the structure of materials, the investigation of grain boundaries, surfaces and structural defects. Also studied are materials synthesis and processing and solid state reactions in model systems. Many faculty are involved in electronic packaging. Numerous interactions exist with other fields at Cornell.
- The Learning Goals of the Materials Science and Engineering Ph.D. program reflect the exceptionally interdisciplinary nature of the program. The essential goal is to train candidates to be able to execute original research in Materials Science and Engineering at a world-class level. This implies that they master the fundamentals of all core materials science and engineering topics, develop in-depth understanding of the topics that are central to their research, synthesizing knowledge from different areas, and take the course-based knowledge to the research level. Here, with guidance from their mentors and peers, they apply their knowledge to solve problems of fundamental or practical interest. In addition to becoming a world expert in the area of their dissertation topics, the candidates will be prepared for a career as a professional scientist/engineer, with all the flexibility that that implies.
- Candidates will acquire and improve these skills through course work, preparation for exams, and participation in faculty research groups. For example, MS&E 8020, the MS&E Research Seminar course, requires students to make oral presentations to members of their research group each semester. The MS&E A- and B-exams also require comprehensive skills in written and oral presentation. These formative skills are essential for the practicing Materials Scientist and Engineer.
- It is also essential that Materials Scientists and Engineers are aware of ethical issues pertaining to the conduct and dissemination of research, in collaborative research endeavors as well as instances that may arise concerned with the teaching arena. Opportunities to participate in training concerned with ethical issues will be provided and training must be completed by each student before his/her A-exam.
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Materials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 19 other PhDs in Industrial & Systems Engineering in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A statement of purpose
- English language proficiency
International29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during 60 months.
National29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.