- The graduate program in Near Eastern is designed to help students acquaint themselves with the fundamental elements of these cultures, and also to acquire a high degree of specialization in one or more of the following areas: ancient Near Eastern studies (including archaeology); Arabic literature; biblical studies; early Christianity; Hebrew literature; Islamic studies; Judaic studies; and the modern Middle East.
- Candidates for the Ph.D. degree are expected to demonstrate mastery in the language or languages of the main texts that are directly related to the topic of their dissertations. Students are advised to determine early in their training the special field of their concentration and to consult their advisors about linguistic requirements.
- Before the end of the sixth term of graduate study, each Ph.D. degree candidate must demonstrate competence in reading scholarly secondary materials in two of the following languages, chosen in consultation with their committee chair: French, German, modern Greek, modern Hebrew, Italian, Russian, and Spanish. Candidates for the master's degree must demonstrate competence in one of those languages at least one term before the degree is awarded.
- The ancient Near East
- Arabic literature
- Biblical studies
- Early Christianity; Hebrew literature
- Islamic studies
- Judaic studies
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A statement of purpose
- English language proficiency
International29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during 60 months.
National29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.