- Students in Romance Studies select a major in an area of literature (French, Italian, or Spanish literature) and choose a minor in one or two other areas from any field.
French, Hispanic, or Italian literature.
- The field offers a full complement of courses in French, Hispanic,or Italian literatures. It seeks to incorporate current, speculative, theoretical views of literature, often reflected in the review Diacritics, which since 1971 has been edited and published by faculty members and students in the Field of Romance Studies.
- Students choose one national literature as their major concentration. They are expected to acquire a working knowledge of the general history of that literature, to become conversant with the social and intellectual history, and to speak and write their major language fluently. They are trained in bibliographical, linguistic, and analytical skills basic to teaching and research in the interpretation of literature.
- Students are encouraged to study foreign languages other than the language of the major concentration, but such study is not required unless special linguistic competence is necessary for the student's research. Such need is determined by the student's Special Committee.
- Students with a major in French, Hispanic, or Italian literature usually teach at least one year of literature and one year of language as part of their professional training; numerous teaching assistantships are available. A summer course in language teaching allows beginning assistants to observe and participate in classroom teaching and to attend lectures and discussion on theory and practice. An orientation program on the teaching of literature is held shortly before the semester begins.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Concentrations by Subject:
- French literature
- French studies
- Hispanic literature
- Hispanic studies
- Italian literature
- Italian studies
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Literature Linguistics View 62 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A statement of purpose
- English language proficiency
International29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during .
National29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during .
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.