The completion of the PhD thesis is generally expected to take three to four years, and most funding is based on this assumption. It's also possible to take a part-time route through research degrees, and the expected timeframe would be five years. During your research, you will have the opportunity to work closely with a supervisor who is a specialist in your research area.
You might reasonably expect to see your supervisor fortnightly or at least three times per term. In addition to your supervisor, you will normally also be able to draw on the help and support of other members of the Section with expertise in your field of study.
By the end of the Portuguese programme from The University of Cambridge, candidates will have acquired excellent skills, experience and knowledge to undertake postdoctoral work (research and teaching) or another related profession.
- Thesis / Dissertation
- Annual progress interviews constitute a system for the formal monitoring by the Degree Committee of the progress of all students working towards a PhD.
- Postgraduate students are admitted in the first instance for a probationary period during which they are not registered as a candidate for the PhD degree.
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 94 other PhDs in Languages in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Two academic references
- Evidence of competence in English
- Research proposal
- Sample of work
- Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK Masters (Distinction).
- If your degree is not from the UK, please check International Qualifications to find the equivalent in your country.
International25758 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25758 GBP per year during 36 months.
National8844 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8844 GBP per year during 36 months.
- National: £5,306
- International: £15,454
Living costs for Cambridge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.