We recognize that the creation of new work is the life blood of the theatreand to this end we provide opportunities for students to develop and create new performance work while maintaining connections to our history through productions of classic, modern and contemporary texts. The Theatre program is offered by The Ohio State University.
The Wexner Center for the Arts complements our own work with innovative offerings of cutting edge performing artists from around the globe.
The department offers diverse ways for students to connect with the theatre profession through internships and international opportunities.
The PhD program is oriented to scholarly research in theatre history, criticism, theory, and dramatic literature. The degree culminates in the writing of a dissertation, and a minimum of 45 graduate credits hours beyond the MA or MFA degree.
Areas of study
- Theatre history and historiography
- critical and dramatic theory
- genre history and theory
- production analysis and dramaturgy
- women and theatre
- archival access and training
- contemporary performance arts
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Theatre & Dance View 6 other PhDs in Theatre & Dance in United States
- The equivalent of a four-year bachelor's or advanced degree from an accredited college or university, earned by the expected date of entry into your graduate program.
- A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale or equivalent) for the last bachelor's or advanced degree earned.
- Transcripts or other credentials documenting that you have completed prerequisite academic work.
- Standardized test score (GRE or GMAT)
International40831 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40831 USD per year during 60 months.
National37687 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 37687 USD per year during 60 months.
In-State12679 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12679 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Columbus
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.