Graduate coursework prepares students for the intellectual capacity to read for their tailored candidacy exams, also to design and implement dissertations projects. The PhD program is subdivided into the regular PhD track and the direct-to-PhD track:
- regular PhD track is for students already holding Master's degrees and takes an estimated five years to complete
- direct-to-PhD program is for students without a previous Master's degree and takes an estimated six years to complete
Students in either PhD track, who do not already hold and MA in WGSS, can obtain the MA by successfully completing 30 credits and passing the MA written exam, or by successfully completing the PhD candidacy exam. Obtaining the MA will not interfere with progress toward the PhD.
The Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies program is offered by The Ohio State University.
Fields of study:
- Race, Sexualities and Social Justice: provides students with intellectual tools to understand the social, cultural, and political significance of race and sexuality, and their intersections with other dimensions of difference and identity.
- Global and Transnational Feminisms: dedicated to the study of feminist thinking and activism around the world.
- Power, Institutions and Economies: examines how workplaces, schools, the government, police, prisons, marriage, and the home are all institutional positions that shape experience, proscribe behavior, or exclude non-normative bodies and people.
- Narrative, Culture and Representation: offers rich opportunities for students to partake in discussions of race, gender, sexuality, class, ethnicity, religion, and dis/ability through engaging cultural texts and production from both historical and contemporary perspectives.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies View 4 other PhDs in Gender & Sexuality Studies in United States
- The equivalent of a four-year bachelor's or advanced degree from an accredited college or university, earned by the expected date of entry into your graduate program.
- A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale or equivalent) for the last bachelor's or advanced degree earned.
- Transcripts or other credentials documenting that you have completed prerequisite academic work.
- Standardized test score (GRE or GMAT)
International40507 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40507 USD per year during 48 months.
National37140 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 37140 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State12424 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12424 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Columbus
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.