The Sociology from University of Cambridge course, aims to provide all students with the skills they need to be professional researchers and academics.
There is an organised programme of courses for first-year PhD students, which has three major components:
- Basic academic and research skills, designed to provide the essential tools of academic work
- The core training programme, which covers issues of social science research in general
- Issues of research specific to particular disciplines or areas of interest, and research design, including the integration of methodological, theoretical and substantive issues
You will be expected to participate fully in the core training programme, and in the departmental seminar series.
- All first-year PhD students attend the first-year PhD research seminars in Michaelmas and Lent terms offering talks on transferable skills such as publication, careers advice and academic writing and the opportunity for each student to make a presentation based on their research plans.
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Sociology Philosophy & Ethics View 101 other PhDs in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- Two academic references
- Evidence of competence in English
- Sample of work
- Research proposal
International25758 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25758 GBP per year during 36 months.
National8844 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8844 GBP per year during 36 months.
- National: £5,306
- International: £15,454
Living costs for Cambridge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.