Practice-based MPhil and PhD
- Both the MPhil and the PhD can be linked to design practice.
- A practice-based MPhil explores new approaches to, or applications of, existing knowledge by means of practice.
- A practice-based PhD creates new knowledge by means of practice.
- In either case, your final presentation will include both an original, creative practice component and a thesis that will contextualise this practice.
- Since the practice component of your research constitutes a significant part of the final examination, the thesis requirement is reduced.
Design Star Centre for Doctoral Training
Goldsmiths is a member of the Design Star Centre for Doctoral Training, which brings the Department of Design together with other leading design departments at the University of Brighton; Loughborough University; The Open University; and the University of Reading. The Design programme is offered by the Goldsmiths, University of London.
It aims to develop future intellectual leadership in design: research leaders of the future who are equipped to make a difference to contemporary social concerns, knowledge production and creative practices. This requires an approach to research training that places diversity and interdisciplinarity at its core.
Design Star brings together world-class research in:
- design for industry
- interaction design
- design process
- communication design
- sustainable design
- design history
- creative practice.
Its spread of design disciplines is linked by a common approach to design that encourages the integration of history, theory and engagement.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCurrent studies include:
- Empirical Speculation and Prototyping Futures in the Refugee Crisis
- The Housing Database Made Visible: Regenerative politics, participation and design
- Re-scripting Organisations: Inventing the designer-in-residence
- Curating Issues of Concern: Mediating critically engaged design
- Making Algorithms Public: Rendering visible the operations and politics of algorithmic systems
- Space for Boundary – Space as Place: An investigation into the design of architectural boundaries in residential mass housing, in the context of urban sustainability
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign View 24 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Details of your education history, including the dates of all exams/assessments
- The email address of your referee who we can request a reference from, or alternatively an electronic copy of your academic reference
- Contact details of a second referee
- A personal statement – this can either be uploaded as a Word Document or PDF, or completed online
- If available, an electronic copy of your educational transcript
- Details of your research proposal
International18900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18900 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
National4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4407 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.