The Doctor of Fine Arts from University of Auckland involves both research and practice. You will be supervised by a committed team of professionally active, internationally recognised staff from Elam School of Fine Arts and, if appropriate, other schools/departments within the University of Auckland.
The DocFA is the highest-level university qualification in Fine Arts at the University of Auckland that is predominantly founded on studio-based practice. Like the PhD, it is expected to be a contribution to knowledge in your chosen field. Candidates work on advanced-level research in a manner relevant to medium-based or post-medium practices throughout the course of the degree.
The DocFA is an opportunity for both experienced and emerging artists to undertake advanced-level research and practice to further their development within their chosen creative field.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- As part of your DocFA study, you can take part in our doctoral skills programme, designed to help you achieve success in your research and develop skills for your future.
- We have a dedicated postgraduate careers advisor, and our library service includes specialist subject librarians to help you in your research. The central School of Graduate Studies provides dedicated support and advice for the doctoral community.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Meeting our academic requirements does not guarantee entry.
- You must demonstrate an ability to research independently, and possess a high level of theoretical understanding. Acceptance is subject to staff availability for supervision, and appropriate resources and facilities.
- You must write an initial statement of research intent to demonstrate your research capability and experience.
- All students must meet our English-language requirements as a condition of entry.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International29624 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29624 USD per year during 36 months.
National4883 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4883 USD per year during 36 months.
- National: NZ$7,329.60
- International: NZ$44,464.80
Living costs for Auckland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.