The Juris Doctor programme from Singapore Management University bears the SMU's distinctives of holistic learning, active seminar-style pedagogy and international and practical exposure, amongst others.
Students engage in a substantial amount of pre-class preparatory reading and thinking, and they participate actively in class discussion. Our experience is that the interactive / participative learning environment at the School of Law helps develop confidence and analytical and presentation skills -- attributes which are essential for excelling in the legal and corporate world.
Classes are deliberately kept small and a multi-faceted approach to course assessment is adopted. This includes class participation, term assignments and oral and written presentations. The end of term written examination (usually open book) typically accounts for a maximum of 50% of the final grade in a course. A significant amount of time is devoted to group presentations.
A distinctive feature of the J.D. programme is that lawyers from practice, government and the judiciary will be invited to participate in classroom teaching. This will provide our students with the opportunity to integrate practical expertise with theory and doctrine.
Legal work that JD graduates can pursue:
- Associates in law firms: advising clients, drafting and negotiating transactions and/or dispute resolution
- Legal counsel in a multinational or local company: advising the company on legal and corporate matters
- Contract Law
- Corporate Law
- Legal Theory and Philosophy
- Criminal Law
- Law of Property
- Commercial Conflict of Laws
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed an undergraduate education in any discipline with at least a Cum Laude or Second Class Upper Honours degree; or
- Law graduates from a civil law country or a non-gazetted common law university with at least a Cum Laude or Second Class Upper Honours degree, or
- Graduands who will obtain their final transcript and graduation certification letter by the second week of June
International9972 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9972 USD per module during 36 months.
National9972 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9972 USD per module during 36 months.
- 1st payment ($13,190.00)
- 2nd payment ($18,190.00)
- 3rd payment ($18,190.00)
- 4th payment ($18,190.00)
Living costs for Singapore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.