The Professional Doctorate is an alternative pathway to a doctorate qualification. It is a rigorous programme of advanced study and research, designed specifically to meet the needs of commerce, industry and professional groups and is the professionally-oriented counterpart to the more theoretical PhD. It enables you to study a specific subject to the same depth as PhD students, but also to apply learning to your professional practice.
The Faculty of Science and Health offers a suite of Professional Doctorates. You will be supervised by experienced researcher-practitioners with extensive applied experience.
What you will experience?
On this course you will:
- Gain advanced research skills through the completion of a doctoral level programme of research
- Be supervised by staff who have a wealth of experience in research and applied practice in sport, exercise and health science
- Develop advanced ethical, communication, and consultancy competencies in applied sport, exercise and health science practice
Benefits of a Prof Doc in Sport, Exercise & Health Science
A professional doctorate is a desirable qualification for those working in areas such as the NHS, Physiotherapy, Sport Science and Strength and Conditioning
This programme encourages advanced analytical and critical thinking, while enhancing in-depth appreciation of research skills and how these are applied into the workplace. The development of this key knowledge will assist in enhancing policies and practices within your chosen profession.
On a personal level, the aim is for you to gain personal fulfilment whilst undertaking career professional development (CPD) and enhancement.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Proposal for Professional Research and Development Project
- Publication and Dissemination
- Professional Research and Development Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesPublic Health Sports Management View 96 other PhDs in Public Health in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A master's degree in an appropriate subject and a suitable workplace environment to support the professional research and development project.
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 7.0 with no component score below 6.5.
- Applicants are subject to interview.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.