Objectives of the Programme
- to support developing of knowledge and skills to act as an independent professional expert;
- to create conditions for independent academic work in teaching and research at universities or research institutions.
- has broad knowledge and systematic overview of sociological research fields, methods and theoretical perspectives;
- is able to orient in scientific sociological literature, find necessary information, critically evaluate, analyse and synthesize information;
- is able to plan and conduct professional international scientific and development activities based on the principles of ISA (International Sociological Association) code of ethics and to critically analyse and evaluate the results;
- is able to participate in international professional and social discussion, present research findings and affect social decision-making processes;
- is able to critically analyse the prevailing norms of society;
- has competence to work as a researcher, lecturer and expert.
What are the Career Options After the Studies?An internationally accredited doctoral diploma obtained in the Sociology programme of Tallinn University enables working as a researcher, teacher and top expert in Estonian, EU and international institutions at employment positions, which require a doctoral degree.
- For more information, please visit the programme page.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Psychology Sociology View 3 other PhDs in Sociology in Estonia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission exam is an interview on the subject of the project of thesis, assessment of publications of the candidate of doctoral study, assessment of the level of academic achievement of the candidate of doctoral study
- Copy of a Bachelor’s degree certificate or certificate of a corresponding qualification + Transcript of Records/Academic Transcript
- Copy of a Master’s degree certificate or certificate of a corresponding qualification + Transcript of Records
- Copy of the identification page of passport
- Proof of English language Proficiency
- Thesis proposal signed by the prospective supervisor
- Copy of a Sworn Affidavit to Confirmation of Name if the applicant's name stated in his/her passport differs from the name on any of the other required documents
- Applicants applying for adjustments to be made during the admission exams due to his/her physical or psycho-social special need must submit a copy of medical proof of this special need
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
No tuition fees.
Living costs for Tallinn
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.