The program aims to:
- prepare graduates for careers in university teaching and research, policy development, implementation and evaluation, practice and program evaluation, leadership and management of human services;
- offer students the opportunity to acquire research methodology skills and to apply these to a range of areas relevant to social work; and
- stimulate original research on important social problems and issues.
As one of the top Ph.D. programs in Canada, the School of Social Work promotes leading scholarship on social policy and practice. Students work closely with their supervisor, pursuing individualized programs of study, which include coursework, research, and professional development.
Faculty have expertise in a variety of areas such as aging; social exclusion; child welfare; international social welfare; Aboriginal people and communities; violence against women and children; health and disability; poverty and social development; migration and community organizing.
Students normally take two semesters of coursework after which they complete a comprehensive exam. In the second year of the program, students begin their thesis work and take a course designed to facilitate the research process. Research and writing usually takes two to three years to complete.
McGill offers competitive entrance fellowships, access to computers and library resources, and active student networks. There are many opportunities to be involved in faculty research projects and sessional teaching. Students go on to careers in teaching, organizational leadership, and social policy analysis.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Comprehensive Examination
- Thought and Theory Development in Social Work
- Advanced Seminar: Social Work Intervention
- Advanced Research Methods and Analysis: Quantitative Data
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Online application and application fee
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Writing sample/portfolio
- A research supervisor
- Study permits/student visas
International19082 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9541 CAD per semester and a duration of 48 months.
National4782 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2391 CAD per semester and a duration of 48 months.
McGill University is committed to provide financial support for graduate education. Through Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) and other academic units, McGill is working to increase the number of student fellowships and scholarships, exploring new avenues for student support, and making it easier to disburse existing funds. Our competitive funding support offers, coupled with Montreal’s low cost of living, makes graduate studies at McGill a wise educational investment.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.