About the program
Since then the English Engineering Education (e3) program of the Hokkaido University has been bringing in English speaking students with diverse educational and cultural backgrounds from around the world, a sharp departure from the past when international student population consisted largely of Japanese speaking students from East Asia.
Courses at our School of Engineering are given in Japanese and in English.
- 250 courses offered in English in 13 Divisions, in the fields of Mechanical engineering, Materials science, Applied physics, Civil, Environmental and Resource Engineering, Architecture and Design.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies General Engineering & Technology View 3 other PhDs in General Engineering & Technology in Japan
To qualify for the degree of doctor, you must have satisfactorily earned a minimum of 10 credits from the coursework and passed the dissertation defence.
- 2 credits come from Advanced Study (research guidance in your division)
- A minimum of 8 credits shall be earned from the coursework. If you got M.Eng. from HU, these courses must be from Divisions other than the one you graduated from.
- Fulfil the requirements on the number of published papers set up by each division. Please check the student manual of your year of enrolment.
International230 EUR/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 230 EUR per module during 36 months.
National230 EUR/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 230 EUR per module during 36 months.
- Application fee: 9,800 yen
- Tuition: 29,700 yen / month
- Entrance fee: 84,600 yen (upon enrollment)
Living costs for Sapporo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.