Students in the Faculty of Arts, Celtic Studies and Philosophy PhD programme are required to take 60 credits worth of taught modules over the duration of the programme, of which some are generic, and some are required by the relevant department. Students with an MA in a cognate discipline usually need to take a minimum of 30 credits.
This structured research History programme from Maynooth University prepares graduates for a wide range of career opportunities, including lecturing, consultancy, government service, library, museum, arts work and publishing.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Funding Application
- Phd Research Tutorial
- Professional Certificate in Postgraduate Teaching & Learning : Tutors & Demonstrators
- Approaching the Past
- Professional Skills - Thesis Completion and Career Development
- Academic Writing Module
- Conference Organisation
- Work-based Placement
- Research Placement
- Engaging With the Community: research, Practice and Reflection.
- Outreach & Communication
- Ethics and Academic Practice for Research Students
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Direct entry to the PhD is normally reserved for those with a Masters degree and is on the basis of prior approval of research topic. There are two basic requirements for direct entry admission:
- A convincing and worthwhile research proposal of sufficient scope, the sources for which have been identified, and which can make a substantial contribution to historical scholarship. Proposals are normally of at least 4,000 words in length; it is particularly important that the location of the project in relation to existing literature be set out and that the location, nature and accessibility of primary sources be identified.
- Evidence of the capacity to complete the project to a high scholarly standard, in accordance with professional conventions, and in reasonable time. Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 48 months.
Part-time EU: 4330 EUR
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.