- A high quality research experience and training
- Enhanced arrangements for supervision and mentorship
- Structured arrangements for the development of generic and transferable skills
- Advanced discipline-specific taught courses
- Regular monitoring of progress
Theoretical physicists are in high demand in the job market thanks to their skills in numeracy, analytical and abstract thinking and the application of these skills to solving problems in the real world.
Graduates of the Theoretical Physics programme from Maynooth University can consider a wide range of careers, including research and teaching in a university, research in a research institute or industrial setting; public sector agencies, the scientific civil service; banking and stock market analysis; business and actuarial work, telecommunications and in all sections of the computer industry.
They lead and are at the forefront of scientific discovery and in understanding the universe from the microscopic to the macroscopic, the origin of space-time, quarks, black holes and to astrophysical processes on the scale of the entire universe.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Innovation and Research Commercialisation
- Research Funding Application
- Groups and Their Representations
- Differential Geometry
- Teaching Practice in Mathematical Physics
- Programming Computational Physics
- High-Performance Computing
- Algebraic Topology
- Professional Certificate in Postgraduate Teaching & Learning: Tutors & Demonstrators
- Quantum Field Theory
- General Relativity
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPhysics Mathematics View 3 other PhDs in Mathematics in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Candidates for a PhD degree will normally be expected to have a Masters degree or a First Class Honours primary degree in Mathematical/Theoretical Physics or a relevant discipline.
- Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 48 months.
Part-time EU: 4,330 Euro
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.