The PhD Course in Molecular Medicine operates within the San Raffaele Scientific Institute, one of the largest biomedical research environments in Italy and well renowned internationally.
Completion requires 36 months of full-time studies and allows students to undertake a major research project in one of the over 100 research laboratories present in our Institute. Training and mentoring offers students individualized professional development and a gateway for basic, clinical and industrial research careers.
The International PhD Course in Molecular Medicine at Vita-Salute San Raffaele University is aimed to provide outstanding interdisciplinary training in the broad area of Molecular Medicine. PhD students are expected to spend most of their time working on a research project under the direct supervision of a Director of Studies and with the external scientific advice of a Second Supervisor.
Each year, the PhD Course in Molecular Medicine offers a panel of courses that expose students to the most exciting and active research areas in the field and provide training in the transferable skills required for a successful career in academia and beyond. Training is delivered in English and covers the three-year duration of the PhD Course.
Students are expected to play an integral part in the life of our research community also taking advantage of the many lectures, workshops and seminars organized by the San Raffaele Scientific Institute.
Students may have the possibility to be involved in teaching and in supervising undergraduate students.
About 85% of the students after graduation have continued working in research as postdoctoral fellows (60% abroad, 40% in Italy), while 15% have chosen to work in related areas as clinical trial coordination, science writing, etc.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Public Speaking Skills
- Statistics in Biomedicine
- Scientific Communication
- Research Integrity
- Organoids – mandatory for BAIO & BCM
- Glial support of neurons in the central and peripheral nervous system – mandatory for NEN
- Clinical Trials in Oncology – mandatory for ECM
- Problem Solving logics
- Business Planning
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiomedicine Human Medicine Molecular Sciences
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The application to the International PhD Course in Molecular Medicine can be submitted, regardless of age or citizenship, by those holding a 5-year University Degree, a Master Degree or an equivalent foreign academic qualification, approved by the PhD Examination Committee, also according to international agreements and/or inter-university cooperation and mobility agreements.
- Application Form, duly signed;
- A self-certification of the Bachelor’s Degree, indicating the graduation mark;
- A self-certification of the Master’s Degree, indicating the graduation mark (both according to the old and new Italian regulations);
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
All the PhD students are bound to pay yearly € 1640,00 (including insurance against accidents and third-party liability, duty stamp, regional tax)
Living costs for Milano
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.