The Molecular Medicine at Ulm University aims in this respect are:
- cutting-edge research training of young scientists
- scientific independence and self-responsibility of PhD students
- improvement of employability through training in key competences.
Each doctoral student is supervised by a Thesis Advisory Committee (TAC) consisting of three members: the group leader of the laboratory where the thesis work is performed; a scientist from another institute of Ulm University; and an external reviewer either from industry or from a research institute.
Within each TAC, scientists from different disciplines are involved to ensure interdisciplinary training and mentoring in research. The TAC supervises PhD students in their daily laboratory work, monitors the progress of their work and evaluates oral examinations as well as the written dissertation.
This multiple supervision approach supports the independence of our PhD students as young researchers.
- The lecture Improve your Textbook Knowledge as well as a Journal Club and the biweekly seminar Progress Report.
- The lecture Improve your Textbook Knowledge allows graduates from different disciplines to refresh the basic knowledge needed to perform research in molecular medicine independently of their scientific background.
- In the seminar Progress Report, students are trained to communicate and present their own research data to their fellow students and to place it in a broader international context.
- Furthermore, graduates must attend a series of 30 lectures a year presented by external speakers. Another important compulsory course is the seminar Good Scientific Practice which takes place at the beginning of practical work.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
We accept new students in April and October of each year.
DisciplinesBiomedicine Human Medicine Molecular Sciences View 7 other PhDs in Human Medicine in Germany
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A Master of Science degree (or equivalent) in either the life sciences, physics, chemistry, informatics or a related field.
- An overall grade of 2.0 or better according to the German grading system.
- Suitable applicants are invited to our PhD Selection Days in Ulm. Here they give oral presentations on the topic of their master thesis and are personally interviewed by representatives of the school and project leaders. Following our PhD Selection Days, applicants will be admitted to the PhD programme on condition that:
- The oral presentation has been evaluated with a grade of 2.0 or better.
- The applicant has demonstrated above average English language skills.
- A project leader officially agreed to accept the applicant as a PhD student.
There are no tuition fees for doctoral students at Ulm University
Living costs for Ulm
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.