The Jacob Blaustein Institutes for Desert Research (BIDR), affiliated to the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU), are acknowledged leaders in desert studies, widely respected in the international scientific community for the quality and creativity of their research and training programs. In light of this global reputation and the worldwide need for expertise in the study of drylands, BGU and the Blaustein Institutes have established the Albert Katz International School for Desert Studies , which offers programs leading to Master’s and Ph.D. degrees in Desert Studies, and Hydrology & Water Technologies. These multi-disciplinary research areas have emerged in response to the lack of science-based responses to the urgent needs of humanity.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The faculty includes scientists from the BIDR and leading scholars from the international community. The innovative, multidisciplinary programs are structured to provide an integrated approach, offering students exceptional opportunities to pursue a combination of basic and applied research.
- Students are exposed to a wide range of disciplines complementary to their major areas of specialization. Graduates are qualified to carry out basic and applied research, take responsible positions in the management of drylands and lead the battle to combat desertification.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
A candidate requesting admission to the Winter semester (Semester A) should register no later than the preceding 1st of July; for Spring semester (Semester B), no later than the preceding 1st of January.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Climate Studies & Meteorology
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The candidate must have earned a Masters' degree in a program requiring the submission of a Masters’ Thesis from B.G.U. or another comparable academic institution, and must have high grades from the Masters’ studies and Thesis.
- Candidates who have not yet fulfilled their Masters’ degree requirements may be accepted conditionally, contingent upon their proper completion of supplemental studies; this is a temporary status that may be conferred for only one semester.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5325 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5325 USD per year during 48 months.
- First and second year - 40% a year out of 17,328.75 ₪ ~ USD 5,000$ (varies according to CPI index)
- Third-year and up - 10% a year out of 17,328.75 ₪ ~ USD 5,000$ (varies according to CPI index)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.