The objectives of the Environmental and Water Resources Engineering program of the American University of Beirut are:
- To cultivate expertise in specialized concentration areas of civil and environmental engineering.
- To develop research skills which include the formulation and study of original ideas as well as the development of theory, methodology, and experimental skills.
- To promote involvement in inter-disciplinary teams and activities and develop skills pertinent to group and collaborative efforts.
- To acquire teaching expertise through class lectures and assisting in courses and labs.
The PhD program in EWRE focuses on the following courses and research topics:
- Water and wastewater treatment systems
- Solid and industrial waste treatment/management
- Air quality management and air pollution control
- Environmental and water resources management and planning
- Water quality modeling
- GIS and IT applications for environmental and water resources management
- Watershed modeling and management
- Hydrologic systems analysis
- Hydraulic systems analysis
- Environmental biotechnology and bioremediation
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
- The regular PhD program requires a minimum of 24 credit hours of course work beyond the master’s degree and 24 credit hours of thesis work.
- The accelerated PhD program requires a minimum of 36 credit hours of course work beyond the bachelor’s degree and 42 credit hours of thesis work.
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Hydrology & Water Management Environmental Sciences
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
To be eligible for admission to the PhD program, a candidate must:
- hold a master’s degree in civil and environmental engineering or a related discipline from AUB or another recognized institution of higher learning (for admission in the regular track), or a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or a related discipline (for admission in the accelerated track).
- submit a complete application including a statement of interest, transcripts of academic record from all institutions attended after high school, a curriculum vitae, and three letters of recommendation.
- provide scores for the general exam part of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- must show proficiency in the English language in case English is not the native language (refer to the catalogue section on English Language Proficiency Requirement).
- complete an interview either in person or by phone (for non-AUB students).
International6570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1095 USD per credit during 48 months.
National6570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1095 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for Beirut
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.