Number of scholarships to award
- tuition fee reduction
Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health-related fields.
The Vanier CGS program reaffirms Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and education.
The scholarship is worth $50,000 per year for up to three years; PLUS a bonus from FGSR of a one time, lump sum of $7,000 paid out at the beginning of your award start date.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, a student CAN be a foreign citizen or a Canadian citizen and MUST:
- Be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota.
Be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint graduate research program such as:
- MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD - if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; For joint graduate research program, only the PhD portion of a joint graduate research program is eligible for funding.
- have achieved a first-class average (80%), in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral program.
Study experience required
Without exception, all applications must be completed on ResearchNet.
Transcripts that are Issued to Student will be deemed ineligible by Vanier. Have all transcripts sent electronically as they must have them BEFORE the deadline in order to for you to be considered. Late transcripts cannot be accpeted so please plan ahead.
If you have attended universities outside of North America, please formally request your international transcripts TWO weeks in advance by filling out the Request for Transcripts other than University of Regina form. The form can be found on our FGSR FORMS page, under Student Request.
Please email the request: Late requests (less than 2 weeks) cannot be granted so please plan ahead.
It is strongly encouraged indigenous students to self-declare on their application.