Number of scholarships to award
- tuition fee reduction
The purpose of this scholarship is to support students for study towards a PhD degree in Geology at the University of Canterbury.
Financial assistance with the costs associated with university study, at a value of $25,000 per annum for three years.
Tuition fees at the New Zealand domestic rate.
- Full-time enrolment in a programme for a PhD degree in Geology at the University of Canterbury
- Applications must be made prior to, or within six months after, enrolment in a programme for a PhD degree in Geology at the University of Canterbury
- Applications are not accepted from candidates who already hold a research doctoral degree, or from those who have previously made two or more applications for the Brian Mason Doctoral Scholarship or the UC Doctoral Scholarship, or both.
Selection will be based on:
- academic achievement;
- the quality of the institution and programme pertaining to the candidate's qualifying degree(s); and
- the candidate's prior relevant research experience, research publications, and other outputs, particularly those relating to any topic or theme associated with the Brian Mason Doctoral Scholarship that is currently advertised.
Study experience required
The availability of the scholarship is announced on the Scholarships website as funding and research opportunities become available. An available scholarship is normally linked to a research topic or theme set by the Mason Trust Management Committee, and a recipient's thesis study must be associated with this topic or theme.