Students in the Studies of Cultures programme of Tallinn University are encouraged to approach their research topics from an interdisciplinary angle and combine comparative literature, theoretical and practical approaches to the mechanisms of culture and other methodological and research approaches.
During their studies the students achieve an in-depth knowledge of contemporary approaches in the humanities and in cultural theory.
Why study with us?
- The syllabus is flexible and enables each student to organise his/her studies in close cooperation with a supervisor and to choose the optimal training in a given research topic.
- In addition, the curriculum is aimed at an interdisciplinary approach and increasing the dialogue between the student and the supervisor.
- In order to obtain international experience, it is possible to participate in conferences, seminars, summer schools and to take courses abroad with the support of the Erasmus programme.
Graduate career options
Internationally accredited PhD diploma opens positions that require a doctoral degree.
Further study opportunitiesWith a PhD obtained from Tallinn University, one can apply for PostDoc positions all over the world or continue individual academic development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The core components of the programme are the interdisciplinary research seminars during which each PhD student will have to present a paper at least twice during their studies.
- Feedback will be provided by both the lecturers and the fellow students.
- To develop the methodological basis, there is a course on Current Methods in Humanities.
- PhD students will be able to hone their academic writing and public speaking skills. The cooperation with one's supervisor is of utmost importance when planning the individual and core courses.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Anthropology Literature
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Copy of a Bachelor’s degree certificate or certificate of a corresponding qualification + Transcript of Records/Academic Transcript (official translationsare requested if the documents are not in English);
- Copy of a Master’s degree certificate or certificate of a corresponding qualification + Transcript of Records (official translations are requested if the documents are not in English);
- Copy of the identification page of passport;
- Proof of English language Proficiency;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Thesis proposal signed by the prospective supervisor;
- Copy of a Sworn Affidavit to Confirmation of Name if the applicant's name stated in his/her passport differs from the name on any of the other required documents;
- Applicants applying for adjustments to be made during the admission exams due to his/her physical or psycho-social special need must submit a copy of medical proof of this special need.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 48 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 48 months.
No tuition fees.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.