The doctoral program Cellular and Molecular Physiology of the Brain is conducted jointly by the University of Göttingen, the Max Planck Institutes for Biophysical Chemistry, for Experimental Medicine, and for Dynamics and Self-Organization, the German Primate Center, and the European Neuroscience Institute.
Mainly fueled by the advent of new methodologies such as high-sensitivity protein analytics, molecular biology, or forward and reverse genetics in model organisms, the molecular analysis of nervous system function has developed over the past two decades into one of the most successful and productive research fields in modern biology.
- The research and teaching activities in the program are dedicated to the molecular analysis of brain function.
- The selection of the faculty - with experts in biochemistry, structural biology, cell biology and imaging, in yeast, fly, worm, and mouse genetics, in electrophysiology, and in morphology - and the teaching and research topics reflect the commitment to a comprehensive training, which is both possible and absolutely necessary in modern molecular neurobiology and which should lead from molecules to cells, from cells to systems, and from systems to complex behavior and dysfunction in animals.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
We have no application deadlines and PhD projects in our center can start throughout the year.
DisciplinesMolecular Sciences Biochemistry Genetics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- our cover sheet (pdf),
- certificates of other relevant examinations (e.g. GRE, if available),
- English proficiency certificates
- statement by (prospective) supervisor incl. preliminary title, starting date of PhD project, prospective thesis committee members (if already known), details on funding (contract/stipend, funding source, duration of funding). If funding is not yet available for the entire duration of PhD or if supervisors plans lab move: include declaration by department that they will take over the supervision and funding.
- short abstract of your PhD thesis half or one A4-page (is only required for the application for the programs Molecular Biology of Cells, Cellular and Molecular Physiology of the Brain and Systems Neuroscience)
- optionally: max. two reference letters,
- optionally: 1 (one) passport photograph.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
- Tuition for doctoral studies is fully subsidized by the government for international and domestic students.
- The administrative semester fee is approx. 300 EUR
Living costs for Göttingen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.