Due to the lack of a semester structure, the integration of different subjects into a consistently structured curriculum, and the possibility to directly change to the doctoral program without writing a Master’s thesis, the duration of study is shortened. All courses are held in English.
In the postgraduate segment of the Neurosciences at University of Göttingen program, the student is accompanied by a ‘thesis committee’, consisting of the supervisor of the thesis and two additional faculty members of the study program.
Also the participation in scientific conferences and courses at an early stage as well as the publishing in international journals are part of the prerequisites for graduation. The graduate program encourages research stays in and co operations with external guest laboratories.
- The first year comprises 36 weeks of lectures, tutorials, seminars, methods courses, and individually supervised research projects.
- Laboratory rotations and individual supervision as well as the involvement of lecturers from the Max Planck Institutes and the German Primate Center in the teaching assure a combination of theory, practical projects, and intensive research work.
- The first study year ends with one written and two oral examinations which qualify for the Master’s thesis.
- The Master’s thesis can be waived for students who have passed these examinations with good or excellent results so that they can change to the three-year doctoral program directly.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor's degree (or an equivalent degree) in biology, psychology, medicine, physics, or related fields. Applications are welcome even if the required degree has not been awarded by the time of application as long as this will be conferred before courses start in October.
- Applicants who are not native speakers of English should demonstrate adequate competence of the English language by acceptable results on an internationally recognized test (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, APIEL, CPE). Participation in such a test is recommended but not mandatory as language skills can also be evaluated during the personal interviews with selected candidates (see Admission). Proven higher education in English or a reasonably long stay in an English-speaking country are also acceptable.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
- Tuition for doctoral studies is fully subsidized by the government for international and domestic students.
- The administrative semester fee is approx. 300 EUR
Living costs for Göttingen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.