The Graduate School of North American Studies (GSNAS) at Freie Universität Berlin offers individualized supervision and provide research opportunities in American/Canadian research institutes, archives and libraries.
- Based on an innovative research program, the interdisciplinary curriculum of the Graduate School has been designed to respond to the growing need to move beyond traditional disciplines while remaining anchored within a discipline.
- The doctoral study program covers a period of three years.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Curriculum Vitae (in English)
- A Statement of Purpose of approx. 2 pages (in English)
- Copies of Earned Degrees/Diplomas/Graduation Certificates (High School, BA, MA, etc.)
- Outline of the Dissertation Project of 8-10 pages (in English)
- A work plan/timeline (in English)
- A Writing Sample based on a chapter of the M.A. thesis or an already published journal article (in English or German)
- Two Recent Letters of Reference
Living costs for Berlin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.