The Ph.D. in Animal and Food Science at the University of Padova course covers two main fields of interest: Animal Science and Food Science. Strong connections between these fields of research are assured by common education activities and integrated research projects.
Strong cooperation with a number of other universities across the world, with Italian and European organizations of producers, private companies, and public institutions allow jointed research activities, seminars and periods of stage.
Attendance to stages abroad for some months, International meetings and conferences is strongly recommended. The final thesis consists in a collection of peer reviewed papers published in top ranking scientific journals.
Animal Science Research Area
The research area of Animal Science is aimed to discover and disseminate new knowledge about genetic improvement, nutrition, management, health and the welfare of domestic animals, and management of wild animals. This knowledge is applied to improve the production processes, the quality of foods, the environmental sustainability of animal farming for the benefit of the human community.
Food Science Research Area
The aim the Doctoral Program in Food science is to develop the careers of young researchers and to promote research collaboration in Food Technology and Biotechnology. The doctoral research topics are extremely consistent with themes identified as a priority at national and European level, such as innovation in product and processing, food safety, in its aspects of optimal preservation of food, nutraceutical, novel food production, valorization of traditional food products.
Research topics include:
- Biostatistic and modelling for selection and crossbreeding of domestic animal populations
- Biotechnologies applied to genetic improvement
- Biodiversity protection, traceability of products
- Food quality and tecnology
- Optimization of food manufacturing
- Novel and functional food
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have the Italian Laurea Specialistica/Magistrale or an academic qualification issued by a foreign university and recognized as equivalent to the aforementioned qualifications by the academic authorities or by interuniversity agreements of cooperation and mobility
- The entry qualification must be awarded within the month of September
International374 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 187 EUR per semester
EU/EEA374 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 187 EUR per semester
Living costs for Legnaro
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
The PhD Course in Animal and Food Science receives finacial support from variuos organizations. In particular scholarships have been financed by:
- Cariparo (Financed PhD)
- University of Padova
- Other public and private financial institutions: Lion Seeds (UK), KHBC (Poland)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.