International Relations and Political Science from Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies coursework and dissertation prospectus, combined with specialised doctoral seminars, participation in colloquia and doctoral retreats, where students get individualised feedback from all the professors, and close work with an adviser, gives students the range of skills needed to design and implement their own research.
The PhD programme is designed to prepare students for a career in international relations involving research, whether as a producer or consumer. Students admitted to the programme must have a solid master's level grounding in international relations and, if possible, in political science more generally.
- Doctoral Seminar in Political Science
- Qualitative Methods in International Relations Research
- Statistics for International Relations
- Research Design
- Political Science Research Colloquium
- International Security
- International Political Economy
- Foreign Policy Analysis
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations Political Science Terrorism & Security View 5 other PhDs in International Relations in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You should hold, or at least receive upon arrival, a master’s degree or its equivalent in a discipline relevant to your study programme, from an accredited university.
- A thesis proposal should be submitted that describes your research project.
- All students must have an excellent command of English.
International7300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7300 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA4562 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4562 EUR per year during 48 months.
- Swiss residents: CHF 5,000 per year
- Non-residents: CHF 8,000 per year
Living costs for Genève
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.