About the programme
The Department offers MMus and DMus research degree programmes in Composition and MPhil and PhD research degree programmes in three research concentrations, namely Historical Musicology, Theory, and Ethnomusicology. Research in HIstorical Musicology and Theory focuses mainly on Western Music, while that in Ethnomusicology emphasizes Chinese Music and other non-Western music cultures.
Although the concentrations in the Music programme of The Chinese University of Hong Kong reflect recognized professional boundaries, the faculty as a whole embraces the spirit of interdisciplinary research and is actively engaged in diverse modes of scholarly inquiry. In keeping with international practice, postgraduate studies in composition lead towards the professional degree titles of MMus and DMus, while that in the other three research concentrations, ethnomusicology, historical musicology, and theory, lead towards the MPhil and PhD. Our research postgraduate students, in addition to formal courses, have many other opportunities to become exposed to the latest academic research in music. The department research forum series offers a platform for faculty and PhD students to present their work in progress, and the colloquium series features guest lectures by international scholars on a regular basis. Faculty- and University-wide interdisciplinary lectures, forums and conferences, and exchange opportunities are also available.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Areas of specialization:
- Enthnomusicology and Chinese Music
- Musicology and Western Music History
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Liberal Arts
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants should have majored in ethnomusicology, musicology, anthropology, or another related field.
- All Ethnomusicology students are expected to demonstrate proficiency in Chinese and English. Ability to use a language other than Chinese and English, for research purposes, may be required.
- Applicants should have majored in musicology or another related field.
- Ability to use a language other than Chinese and English, for research purposes, may be required for Historical Musicology students.
- Applicants should have majored in music theory, musicology, or another related field.
- Ability to use a language other than Chinese and English, for research purposes, may be required for Theory students.
- A curriculum vitae (must use the template)
- A copy of Master's thesis and / or other research papers and publications;
- A research proposal written in English (3,000 - 4,000 words)
International5429 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5429 USD per year during 36 months.
National5429 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5429 USD per year during 36 months.
- 42,100 HKD per year
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.