Anthropology from McGill University research presented must meet current standards of the discipline; as well, the thesis must clearly demonstrate how the research advances knowledge in the field. Finally, the thesis must be written in compliance with norms for academic and scholarly expression and for publication in the public domain.
Students at Anthropology from McGill University will:
- make original contributions to research in socio-cultural anthropology, archaeology, and medical anthropology in the form of a doctoral thesis.
- concentrate on different geographic areas (including Africa, Latin America, Europe, North America, and Asia).
- benefit from close supervision by their committees and from high-quality peer exchange.
- Proseminar in Anthropology
- PhD Comprehensive Examination
- PhD Proposal Defence
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Deadline for Current McGill Students (any citizenship) - 15.12
DisciplinesArchaeology Anthropology History View 5 other PhDs in History in Canada
- Admission to the Ph.D. program is open competitively to students with a master’s degree in Anthropology. In very special circumstances, candidates with a master’s degree in related disciplines may be admitted.
- GRE results – for international applicants only
- TOEFL – for non-anglophone and non-francophone applicants
- Writing Sample – a recent sample of the applicant's written work, on any topic (not necessarily within the desired field of graduate study), not necessarily previously submitted for evaluation or publication in English or French, and no more than 15 pages in length
- Personal Statement – an essay in which the applicant describes reasons for applying to graduate studies and indicates qualifications, qualities, or circumstances the applicant feels to be significant. Applicants usually provide information about educational and professional goals, and discuss their interest in the desired field of study
- Curriculum Vitae
International16122 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8061 CAD per semester during 36 months.
National2622 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1311 CAD per semester during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.