The students in the Chinese Studies programme of the The Chinese University of Hong Kong are required to complete a minimum of 27 units of courses, including:
Two required courses (a total of 6 units).
- Three elective seminars or courses offered by related programmes and departments (a total of 9 units).
- A Thesis Guidance course every term from the beginning of the second year of study (for students admitted with a research master's degree) or the third year of study (for students admitted without a research master's degree) until the doctoral thesis is finally submitted (a total of 12 units).
Students must pass the qualifying examination.
Students are required to complete a PhD thesis, which should make substantial contribution to scholarship in the chosen field of specialization, and to pass an oral defense of the thesis. English should be used in both the thesis and the oral defense.
At the completion of their programme students will be required to demonstrate ability to read Chinese articles in academic journals in the appropriate field of specialization.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Fields of Specialization:
- The PhD in Chinese Studies programme in the Centre for China Studies is devoted to advanced research training in the interdisciplinary study of Chinese history, economy, politics and business, literature, film, religion, culture and society.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies View 4 other Masters in Language Studies in Hong Kong (SAR)
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School, applicants should submit the following supporting application materials:
- a detailed research proposal with areas of research interest indicated, about 10 pages in length and written in English.
- a copy of Master's thesis or sample research paper written in English.
- applicants should have a good result in Chinese language paper in Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (AS Level), Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination, GCSE, A-level GCE, SAT 1, SAT AP, HSK, STAMP or equivalent examinations. Alternatively, applicants can submit a sample paper of at least 5 pages in length written in Chinese to demonstrate proficiency in Chinese to work on Chinese materials as needed for the thesis research.
- a CV.
International5429 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5429 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
National5429 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5429 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
- 42,100 HKD per year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.